Absence Procedure and Forms
To encourage good attendance we always share with staff, children and parents. In our Celebration Assembly, the class with the highest attendance receives the Attendance Award and it will be published in our fortnightly newsletter.
What to do when your child is ill?
- Telephone the school office on 01258 857348 on the first day of absence to explain the reason why your child is away from school. We have an answering machine and the phones are manned from 8am onwards, alternatively you can email email@example.com
- If your child is absent for more than one day, please keep the school informed during your child’s absence
- If your child has a medical or dental appointment please try to make them out of school hours if possible. If they are in school hours please bring in their appointment card or letter so we can put a copy in their file along with a Notification of Medical Absence Form which must be completed.
- It is important to let the school know if your child has any ongoing health problems so that the right support can be put in place.
- The department of health has produced guidelines that schools follow with regards to illness of children in education and infection control. Health protection in schools and other childcare facilities It is clearly stated if a child has experienced diarrhoea and/or vomiting they must remain at home for 48 hours after the last episode.
What happens when my child is late?
- Children are to arrive in school between 8.45am and 8.55am with registers being taken at 8.55am. If your child arrives at school after 8.55am they are to be taken to the school office where you will be asked to sign them in.
- Children who arrive between 8.55am and 9.25am their absence will be recorded as ‘late’. If your child arrives after this time, the absence will be recorded as ‘unauthorised absence’. We monitor carefully all children who arrive late for school and work with parents and carers to improve punctuality.
- The school will not authorise absence for any of the following reasons: holidays, shopping, looking after other members of the family, minding the house, birthdays or similar events.
Should you wish to take your child out of school for any leave of absence, requests should be made by completing an Application for Leave of Absence From School Form accompanied by a supporting letter.