It is not usually possible to foresee when an emergency could force us to close the school suddenly but Sturminster Marshall First School will always endeavour to open, regardless of the weather. Please assume this is the case unless you are informed otherwise. We really do try to give as much notice as possible when this happens, but please be aware that there are many factors that influence school closures.
- The number one concern is your safety when traveling to school, if you feel in any way you are unable to complete the journey please do not attempt to do so.
- We must ensure we have enough staff to supervise the children and our staff live some distances from the school in most cases. The staff also have to make arrangements for their own families who are no doubt involved in closures of other places, particularly in the case of snow. This does hamper their ability to get into school in the normal manner at the normal time. They will always strive to do so, however supervision levels for the pupils must be considered as well as the individual needs of pupils. We can't make a decision to close the school without assessing the situation first. We will always aim to let you know about the status of the school as soon as we possibly can.
- Delivery of school meals, milk and fruit may be interrupted due to the weather and we have no control over this. If your children do normally have school meals, milk or fruit, you will need to send in a packed lunch or extra snacks as we can't be sure deliveries will arrive. We are often not told until after school starts.
- Transport arrangements for some children can also be disrupted and these are all factors we must take into account. We are not always informed as early as we would hope but will always try to get information to you as soon as we can.
- The ability to stay open all day, if further bad weather is forecast we need to ensure you can collect and enjoy a safe journey home.
In the unlikely event of having to close the school we will text families through Szapp, inform you via the website and use Dorset For You website. It is vital that we have your up to date contact details so that you do get information from us. Please ensure that if you have changed your number recently that you let us know.
We do not use the radio service as in the past they have confused schools and given out incorrect information. The most accurate and up-to-date information will come from us via the above methods.
Particularly in the case of snow, a day where we have limited opening can be a bit exciting! If the school is open and it has been snowing, we will ensure the pupils get a chance to enjoy it. We would expect them to come to school with their wellington boots, warm coats, hats and gloves. We will then be able to make sure they get out to play safely in the snow and really enjoy such an event.
Should you have any further questions, please do not hesitate to ask. I appreciate that inclement weather can cause chaos and we will do all we can to minimise this. Thank you in advance for your understanding and support.